Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Whatever Happened To Arcade Games

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

LeanderLee

Back in the day I really became a fan of the arcade games. There were several different places I could play arcades. I had so much fun using those machines. It seems nowadays there are not many places left to play the classic games. It seems the games and sound effects were so much better years ago.

Ghost Rider

It seems the games and sound effects were so much better years ago.
What games are you talking about? What sound effects? Technically, I don't think that games before were better in any way than the great games out today on current gen consoles. I too loved to play in arcades especially when I was still in my pre-teens to my early teenage days. But as home consoles became more and more powerful and more accessible, arcades became less famous. They might be even go extinct in the near future.

chartedlife

I think (as fun as they were) arcades are simply a dead concept. They are too expensive and an inconvenience to play nowadays when you can simply buy a console/PC and a game and actually own the experience being able to play as many times as you would like. Unless arcades change the way they charge for the games they will definitely be completely gone within another few years.

Wubwub

I agree with our members here. There really isn't much reason for people to play games at arcades anymore, having to pay for each loss, when they can get the same value at home for free. The only games that make the existence of the last few arcades are the big games that are hard to replicate at home, like Dance Dance Revolution once was, but even that got ported, albeit not as great.

Ghost Rider

Come to think of it, the last time that I visited the arcades, the people in it were composed of snotty children, teens who looked like they had no sense of direction, adults that looked weird, and many other people who looked very untrustworthy. :D

The only reason someone would want to go to an arcade now would be for nostalgia reasons. The same games are available on older consoles which you can do in the comfort of your homes without overpaying for them. Why would anyone go to an arcade then?

randee555

Sad but true, arcades are officially, for the most part...dead. I hate to admit it but they are gone. I loved arcades as a kid and a teenager. The last one I remember was a few years back and it stayed around for maybe 4 months. There just isn't a need anymore especially with consoles, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

Ghost Rider

Hey guys, you know what? I've been going to the mall more frequently these past couple of days and I tried to renew my passion with the arcades. Guess what? I was sucked in by the competitive play of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and I find it so much fun to shoot hoops too! :D

Rocketman

Arcades can't really work in my city. There aren't enough people living here, and most of the machines in movie theaters are old as hell. I'm talking 2D racing games and first House of the Dead old. Otherwise yeah, you don't get enough gameplay for your money. I could buy a game for a few bucks off Steam and play it whenever I want. No reason to drive to an arcade and waste my coins.

jbeavis100

Arcade's are just so rare these days because of home gaming. I love playing games in the arcade and with some games I prefer it but the arcade scene is pretty dead and will remain dead unless some game that is MUST PLAY comes out in the arcades.

sidd230

Nothing! See: Burnout Paradise. Its still so much fun, albeit a bit dated. The visuals may not be the grates but the art style is phenomenal.

Rocketman

I'm thinking that there are certain types of games, like Street Fighter IV that would still be somewhat popular on strategically placed arcade machines. I don't think the facilities are really sustainable by themselves outside of Japan anymore though

Wick99

Well when people could get peripherals like pedals and steering wheels for their own systems, they became a lot less of a novelty. While they are still there, they aren't nearly as popular as they could/should be.

Wubwub

Hey guys, you know what? I've been going to the mall more frequently these past couple of days and I tried to renew my passion with the arcades. Guess what? I was sucked in by the competitive play of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and I find it so much fun to shoot hoops too! :D
I know what you mean! There's really not much that could compare to playing fighting games against someone else in an arcade. The atmosphere is just too unique, in my opinion. Also, of course, the fact that you'd be paying for every loss is a very good driving force for everyone to step up their game.

mikelouis

I think it is because people these days people have been able to buy consoles so there is not need to go to an arcade to enjoy games.

Wubwub

I think it is because people these days people have been able to buy consoles so there is not need to go to an arcade to enjoy games.
Agreed. I think arcades have just lived out their purpose, but it's still nice to see ones hanging on for novelty's sake. Some of our arcade shops around here are still doing relatively well, albeit they are a lot less maintained than they were back then when it was a booming business.