Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

The Crew Console Beta Under Way, Plus Season Pass Details

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).
S

Shawn Hopkins

FERRARI_458_SPECIALE_618x348.jpg

Ferrari 458 Speciale

The Crew’s second closed console beta is now roaring along on Xbox One and PS4.

You can still try your luck to get in at the official site by pre-ordering or signing up for the beta. Pre-ordering gives you guaranteed access. Since the beta has already started I don’t like your chances if you just sign up, but it doesn’t hurt to try.

The beta runs through Nov. 10 and offers a limited selection of missions from Ubisoft’s racing MMORPG to try out, plus The Crew’s entire virtual United States to explore in free roam.

McLaren 12C

Ubisoft also released details for The Crew’s season pass, a thing that’s become de rigueur for new AAA games. The season pass will set you back $24.99 and features these car packs, as described by Ubisoft’s blog:

Extreme Car Pack. Performance vehicles that’ll help you stay ahead of the pack in thrilling, high-octane missions. Available January 2015.

Speed Car Pack. These sports cars are finely tuned for racing at breakneck speeds. Available February 2015

Vintage Car Pack. Visiting an iconic American locale? You’ll want to be seen in these equally iconic rides. Available March 2015.

Raid Car Pack.When heading off the beaten path, you can’t do better than these all-terrain vehicles. Available April 2015.

Season Pass purchasers also get two cars at launch, the McLaren 12C and the Ferrari 458 Speciale.

The Crew is out Dec. 2 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4 and Windows PC.

The post The Crew Console Beta Under Way, Plus Season Pass Details appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

Squigly

As much as I like this game I don't think I'll be buying the season pass. It's way too pricey and there's much more DLC to come. There's already plenty to do with the base game, I'd say save your money instead.

WAVWirmer

DLC and season passes for racing games are ridiculous. I hate the idea of having to buy a game and then having to pay more money to add more content to the game that should already have been there. An this hurts even more when it come to racing games for obvious reasons, plus the fact that games now a days release a complete or game of the year versions with all the DLC. Ill be getting the game not the season pass.

Well since they are making you pay for the dlc I hope you get alot for your money. I'm fine with it as long as the content is worth it. But if they only give just a small addition to the game that will make me mad.

AmenoKaji

Meh, dlc. I shouldn't be surprised but at the same time I am so sick of the microtransction for things that should be in the game without a price. Hopefully this console beta is good enough to not push the games launch date back again.

Yeah, I'm definitely not down with having to buy extra add ons to games. That just turns me off completely. Either release the game fully developed at the full price or don't release at all. Forcing people to buy extra stuff to get the full experience is just bad business.

troutski

The industry has been moving more and more toward DLC and paid add-ons. It's not that surprising, and it's not a huge deal for fans of the game. If a game's good enough, then paying for extra content is no problem at all. Also, the beta was pretty good.

Squigly

Apparently the DLC might give players some performance advantages thanks to early unlocks and more currency. Kinda sucks that gameplay will be imbalanced by whether one decides to spend more money or not.

I think that having DLC which could give players an advantage is flirting with a dangerous line, especially in an MMO-style racing game like The Crew. Having DLC cars doesn't really affect anything when it's a primarily single player game or a multiplayer game where wins and losses don't necessarily count. It's also acceptable when the DLC cars are evenly balanced with the rest of the cars. Based on the descriptions of the game and the DLC for it, The Crew will violate both of these principles. I sincerely hope that it will not turn into a pay-to-win scenario with the only competitive players being the ones who shelled out for the season pass.

I love the concept of The Crew. I just really hope that the execution will not kill the game before it gets the chance to take off.