Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Tilt, Analog Stick, or D-Pad?

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

spence88

Alright, let's talk about controls now. Some games, especially handheld games like Mario Kart 7 or 8, offer a tilt (in Mario Kart Wii, 7 or 8 it's called Gyro Control) feature where you tilt (lol) your controller to the direction you want your car to go to. I've tried it, but I find it harder to control the car than using the d-pad or the analog stick. I'm really amazed how people are able to do it with tilt. My younger cousin is using tilt, but he's on par or even better than me!

So, which do you prefer? Please share your thoughts.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

sillylucy

I don't like the tilt controllers for racing games. I get pretty excited when I play and then I start tilting my whole body. That just throws me off completely. I prefer analog and d-pad.

spence88

As OP, I think it's just standard procedure to share my own views before I ask anybody else's. So sorry if I'm not able to comply to that here and on my previous threads.

So for me, I prefer to use either the Analog stick or D-pad. I switch between those two depending on the game. On Mario Kart, I prefer to use the D-pad more, but on PC games, the analog stick. I don't really know why! Probably because I've gotten used to the D-pad on Mario games (the DS doesn't have an analog stick).

rajesh1209

I have used the Analog pad and I must say it works perfectly for me. My hands have been habituated to use them. :)

rajesh1209

As OP, I think it's just standard procedure to share my own views before I ask anybody else's. So sorry if I'm not able to comply to that here and on my previous threads.

So for me, I prefer to use either the Analog stick or D-pad. I switch between those two depending on the game. On Mario Kart, I prefer to use the D-pad more, but on PC games, the analog stick. I don't really know why! Probably because I've gotten used to the D-pad on Mario games (the DS doesn't have an analog stick).
Well, the D-Pad sounds interesting to me. Can you give me some more details about the D-Pad?

Wubwub

I like dpad buttons the most because that's what I use to be as precise as I can be. For me, the other options like tilt and analog sticks are just not accurate enough or I may just need to get used to them a lot more though I can already manage enough with the dpad so I don't see much reason to switch.

spence88

Well, the D-Pad sounds interesting to me. Can you give me some more details about the D-Pad?
D-Pad stands for Directional Pad. The flat four-way directional control you see on your controller or simply the arrows :)

I like dpad buttons the most because that's what I use to be as precise as I can be. For me, the other options like tilt and analog sticks are just not accurate enough or I may just need to get used to them a lot more though I can already manage enough with the dpad so I don't see much reason to switch.
Yeah I agree, I really wonder how people manage to race competitively with tilt controls.

erook7878

Analog stick is the best to control in my opinion. The d-stick just sways too much and the tilt just feels weird. With the analog stick, you can veer at degrees you can't with the d-stick.

erook7878

I don't like the tilt controllers for racing games. I get pretty excited when I play and then I start tilting my whole body. That just throws me off completely. I prefer analog and d-pad.
It just feels uncomfortable tilting side to side. I feel like an idiot doing it lol. I much prefer analog or d-pad over tilt.

erook7878

I have used the Analog pad and I must say it works perfectly for me. My hands have been habituated to use them. :)
Analog stick is just the most intuitive to use. It has the advantage of the tilt without having to gyrate your body to make a turn. It's something I've gotten so used to.

spence88

Another advantage I see with the analog stick is that it doesn't hurt my thumb as much as the D-Pad does. With the D-Pad, I find myself sometimes pressing the buttons too hard that my thumb will start to hurt in a short while. Since we're already talking about comfort, I'll give tilt controls the edge on this one. With tilt you can play for extended periods without hurting your thumb or wrists. :)

I prefer the analog stick. I have tried using the tilt controls, but I guess I'm too used to the old school way of playing videogames.

spence88

^I got used to the analog stick as well before. But there are certain benefits to each, and some are just too good to miss. So I tried each of them and see which works better for the game I'm playing. I suggest you try it too. It will only take a short while to get used to it.

Squigly

Analog stick for me. While the tilt function sounds cool its nowhere close to the experience that you get from an actual racing wheel. I'd say invest in one instead if you really one an authentic driving experience.

Locoton22

When it comes to racing games I personally prefer using the analogs because they're way more wasy to handle and I personally feel way more comfortable when using them, such a pilot.

Okaviator

Personally, I prefer using a d-pad over using gyroscope controls. I always feel like I have more control when using a d-pad, than when using gyroscope controls.

ZXD123

I have always played with the D pads back to the Gran Turismo days on the PS1 and PS2 so I would have to say the D pads. Nowadays I mainly play on my wheel controller though so that works as well!

Wubwub

D-Pad stands for Directional Pad. The flat four-way directional control you see on your controller or simply the arrows :)

Yeah I agree, I really wonder how people manage to race competitively with tilt controls.
I don't like how you have to move your arms like a madman to play it too. I always assume people who are using it just haven't discovered you could use touch controls which is way more convenient.

Susime

I used to always use the D-pad to steer and the buttons for acceleration and braking but these days I use the sticks and also the paddles on the back of the controllers which, to me anyway, give me much better control than I previously had with the older settings.

The sticks, I can make very small adjustments with just a little push on the stick and the paddles I can also accelerate and brake better rather than it being a brake - on, brake - off, system.