Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Steam's Redesign Of Console Controllers

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Wubwub

With all the hype surrounding the next gen consoles, it's easy for news like this to slip into the cracks, but I thought that the design was so unique that it begs to be discussed. Of course, none of us could really fully judge until it comes out, but a little discussion based on speculation wouldn't hurt, I think. So what do you think of Valve/Steam's new controller? Is it the future? Do you think you could get used to it?

valve-steam-controller.jpg

Rocketman

I think it makes kind of a compromise. It allows us to play games like Civ 5 on the couch, but otherwise, it's worse than a mouse and keyboard for games that are optimized for them, and worse than a regular controller for games that aren't. It's the best option we can come up with that lets us make that compromise, but it's still not the best option either way.

Wubwub

I think it makes kind of a compromise. It allows us to play games like Civ 5 on the couch, but otherwise, it's worse than a mouse and keyboard for games that are optimized for them, and worse than a regular controller for games that aren't. It's the best option we can come up with that lets us make that compromise, but it's still not the best option either way.
I agree. I like playing fighting games the most, and immediately tried to imagine myself playing versus battles on that and I think it's not suited for it. But I don't know if it has to be suited for it, though, there are other controllers out for fighting games now. Still, it's made me really curious and I actually want to play Street Fighter with it.

Solar

I think this controller looks awful and unprecise. I definitely do not want to play action-heavy games like fighting games on it. It's just like the Steam Box for me. It tries to mix console with PC and fails at both.

Good thing that at least Microsoft makes it easy for one to use 360 controllers on PC, and will soon allow the X1 controller to work on PC. Couldn't care less for the X1, but I want the controller.

Wubwub

I think this controller looks awful and unprecise. I definitely do not want to play action-heavy games like fighting games on it. It's just like the Steam Box for me. It tries to mix console with PC and fails at both.

Good thing that at least Microsoft makes it easy for one to use 360 controllers on PC, and will soon allow the X1 controller to work on PC. Couldn't care less for the X1, but I want the controller.
Haha! I think it looks awful too, but I'm reserving further opinion until after I've tried it. I do kind of agree that it might turn out to be a crossover fail, but I commend them for the effort, and if they fail hopefully someone someday will succeed by knowing the pitfalls to avoid because of this.

Rocketman

Haha! I think it looks awful too, but I'm reserving further opinion until after I've tried it. I do kind of agree that it might turn out to be a crossover fail, but I commend them for the effort, and if they fail hopefully someone someday will succeed by knowing the pitfalls to avoid because of this.

I'm more excited about the general haptic technology they've decided to use. If we could adapt it to mobile screens, then they could potentially be on par with handheld consoles since one of the main criticisms of mobile gaming is the lack of tactile feedback.

Wubwub

I'm more excited about the general haptic technology they've decided to use.
Had to look that up, and it sounds almost like sci-fi. I wasn't even thinking of that happening because probably I never thought it would be possible, but I have had the same complaints for touch screens, admittedly. Good to hear some of the few details about this controller that I might have missed, as I really am interested in it and I'm kind of looking forward to trying it out someday.

CelTek

It's an interesting idea, and I'd probably be on board with getting one if they aren't too expensive. I sometimes (weekly, maybe?) use my tablet in bed to control my PC. I haven't really ventured into gaming with it, but at least I'm familiar with the "trackpad" idea again.

If it's wireless, it could be potentially awesome. Despite all my efforts, I have not managed to make my PS3 controller work properly over bluetooth. Everything seems to connect, it just doesn't work. If this works out of the box, like I imagine Valve will do, I'll most likely buy one!

Solar

It's an interesting idea, and I'd probably be on board with getting one if they aren't too expensive.

Yeah, even though I think they look weird as hell and definitely not the type of controller for the games I play the most (fighters and otherwise games that require precision like Dark Souls) but if they aren't too expensive I'll grab one to try it out.

rossonomous

It looks pretty damn funky and finds a fairly good middle ground. I'm really unsure on whether to make the purchase when it comes round to it or not.

I do really like the fact that it will support games such as CIV5 nice and easily!

Wubwub

Yeah, even though I think they look weird as hell and definitely not the type of controller for the games I play the most (fighters and otherwise games that require precision like Dark Souls) but if they aren't too expensive I'll grab one to try it out.
Same here, I agree with you both. It does look weird, but I'm happy that people are still trying to innovate in this age that everything seems so standard which does tend to get boring after a while, in my opinion.

Rocketman

I think the reason that Valve can pull it off is just because Valve is private. GabeN doesn't need to worry about pleasing shareholders so he can take risks and do things that the big companies can't.

Wubwub

I think the reason that Valve can pull it off is just because Valve is private. GabeN doesn't need to worry about pleasing shareholders so he can take risks and do things that the big companies can't.
Good point, and I think it's paid off so far, so there really isn't much reason to change their formula now. :) I'm glad that they exist, actually. I've tried Steam a few times, and I like the general ease of access that their company and software offers, which is why I'm really curious as to how their controllers will turn out.

Ok. Obviously haven't used it as yet, so I'll reserve absolute judgement on it but that thing looks ugly as sin. But then again most things they do turn out right, so they probably had something in mind when they put that thing out.

jbeavis100

I personally don't like the look of it. I personally think it needs a redesign with some better buttons and maybe the touch things could be a bit smaller..

Oakster

It's certainly interesting, I think it will take me a while to get used to it once I get one.
It was the same thing when I first got my Xbox 360 controller, I absolutely hated the way it felt but now that I've gotten used to it I'd never go back.
Hopefully it will be the same with this controller, hard to get used to but them it will start to make sense.
There should also be some innovative games to take advantage of the controller.

Rocketman

I never liked controllers that much just because they didn't feel very precise. I wonder if the Steam controller will improve on that. So far, it looks like it just gives us a way to simulate the mouse with a controller. I wonder if it will be any faster.

Wubwub

I never liked controllers that much just because they didn't feel very precise. I wonder if the Steam controller will improve on that. So far, it looks like it just gives us a way to simulate the mouse with a controller. I wonder if it will be any faster.
I agree, especially for FPS games. I'm really more of a fighting game fan, so I'm very used to controllers, but I can admit that they are pretty terrible for shooting games. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this controller will hold up, as it does look like to me like they have solved that issue. Like I said, though, it doesn't really look like it would be good for fighting games, but we already have tons of other controllers for that.

Wubwub

I personally don't like the look of it. I personally think it needs a redesign with some better buttons and maybe the touch things could be a bit smaller..
I'm a bit apprehensive about the physical design too, but I guess I'll give it a chance until it comes out. I am curious to see how it works though and I really want to get my hands on one once it releases.