Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Sonic the Hedgehog

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Gin0710

Did Nintendo adopt him or did his games go when the Sega went out of business? I remember working at Toys R Us when that happened and we made room for the Xbox games, but I don't know what happened with Sonic.

Wubwub

I think Sega is just in the business of putting out games now instead of consoles so they probably just license the character out to wherever it can work the most. I find it unfortunate since I really liked the direction they were going with and I still hope that they come back someday though I know that is unlikely.

troutski

Nintendo definitely doesn't own the rights to Sonic. He's just licensed into some of Nintendo's titles. Notably the Super Smash Bros. series and a couple racing games.

ACSAPA

Did Nintendo adopt him or did his games go when the Sega went out of business? I remember working at Toys R Us when that happened and we made room for the Xbox games, but I don't know what happened with Sonic.
Sega is NOT out of business. They only make software now, not consoles. About three new Sonic the Hedgehog games come out every year.
The most recent Sonic game was a Wii U exclusive.

ACSAPA

I think Sega is just in the business of putting out games now instead of consoles so they probably just license the character out to wherever it can work the most. I find it unfortunate since I really liked the direction they were going with and I still hope that they come back someday though I know that is unlikely.
Yes, it seems so. Although, I do wish that someday they might make another console. I don't know how likely that will e now that they work more in software and games only. Still, I'm a loyal Sonic fan, so let's just wait and see what SEGA has in store for their fans.

ACSAPA

Oh thanks.
I think you should have a little more faith in SEGA. They're still a really good game company. That's just their focus now. Games, not consoles. I don't really see a problem with it, though I do kind of miss their consoles. I very much enjoyed the SEGA Genesis and the Dreamcast (despite its short era).

Gin0710

I think you should have a little more faith in SEGA. They're still a really good game company. That's just their focus now. Games, not consoles. I don't really see a problem with it, though I do kind of miss their consoles. I very much enjoyed the SEGA Genesis and the Dreamcast (despite its short era).

I like Sega. I just know between Nintendo and PS they were having trouble in sales with their game console. Maybe they can make a comeback and blow the console competition out of the water. Maybe Apple should help. It'd be better competition between them and Microsoft.

Wubwub

Yes, it seems so. Although, I do wish that someday they might make another console. I don't know how likely that will e now that they work more in software and games only. Still, I'm a loyal Sonic fan, so let's just wait and see what SEGA has in store for their fans.
Same here, I really hoped they made another console but honestly at this point I think if they made on it would just be like the current alternatives with the same features and controllers so I'm not really too bummed about it anymore. It they did come out with a more classic style I'd be all over it.

ACSAPA

Same here, I really hoped they made another console but honestly at this point I think if they made on it would just be like the current alternatives with the same features and controllers so I'm not really too bummed about it anymore. It they did come out with a more classic style I'd be all over it.
How exactly do you mean "classic style"? As in the controller/console looks kind of like the Genesis, Saturn, or Dreamcast? As in the gameplay has that kind of Genesis feel to it (without the graphics being handicapped)? I'm just curious on what you mean.

WAVWirmer

Sega went the Atari route all they do now is license the properties they have to Devs and publishers so that they can release them on other consoles since they no longer have one of their own. I feel like some of you in that SEGA should come out and try again with a fresh console. It would be nice for one more major player in these console wars.

Wubwub

How exactly do you mean "classic style"? As in the controller/console looks kind of like the Genesis, Saturn, or Dreamcast? As in the gameplay has that kind of Genesis feel to it (without the graphics being handicapped)? I'm just curious on what you mean.
I guess just overall a more unique experience with a library that has more of an identity unlike what we have now which is more homogenized between multiple consoles. I'd also like to see old type controllers make a comeback because I'm still not totally sold on what the dual Shock trend has started.

ACSAPA

I guess just overall a more unique experience with a library that has more of an identity unlike what we have now which is more homogenized between multiple consoles. I'd also like to see old type controllers make a comeback because I'm still not totally sold on what the dual Shock trend has started.
I actually prefer the modern controllers, but it would be a nice throwback if they did that sometime. I'm interested to see how they'd have the gameplay to work around that old style of controller.

Wubwub

I actually prefer the modern controllers, but it would be a nice throwback if they did that sometime. I'm interested to see how they'd have the gameplay to work around that old style of controller.
Yeah I know I'm in the minority here which is why the PS controller really took off and has become the standard. I know there are still some front facing button controllers available now but I think Sega was the only one to ever get the direction buttons completely right.

WAVWirmer

Yeah I know I'm in the minority here which is why the PS controller really took off and has become the standard. I know there are still some front facing button controllers available now but I think Sega was the only one to ever get the direction buttons completely right.

Yea the dpad the genesis and dream cast had were very solid and so comfortable to use. I remember playing street fighter and Marvel vs Capcom 2 and loving the way the dpads felt and responded.

Wubwub

Yea the dpad the genesis and dream cast had were very solid and so comfortable to use. I remember playing street fighter and Marvel vs Capcom 2 and loving the way the dpads felt and responded.
I never got to play on the Dreamcast but I played the one on Saturn and on the Gensis and both controllers were glorious, especially, as you've mentioned, for fighting games. Those d-pads were just immaculate for playing Street Fighter and I've never had a similar experience ever since those controllers were discontinued.

WAVWirmer

I never got to play on the Dreamcast but I played the one on Saturn and on the Gensis and both controllers were glorious, especially, as you've mentioned, for fighting games. Those d-pads were just immaculate for playing Street Fighter and I've never had a similar experience ever since those controllers were discontinued.

It was a sad day for gaming when that happened. The closest experience that ive had that comes close to that dpad is the on on the Wii controller and the on on the Logitech wireless controller that came out for ps2 and the pc version of that controller.

Wubwub

It was a sad day for gaming when that happened. The closest experience that ive had that comes close to that dpad is the on on the Wii controller and the on on the Logitech wireless controller that came out for ps2 and the pc version of that controller.
Yeah it's only now that I see comments from people around the world that I realize how beloved that controller really was. I even saw someone explain the science of what made it so different even when compared to the supposedly more technologically advanced controllers of today and knowing about details like that only makes me appreciate the science that went into it a lot more.

Wubwub

Is there anyway I can play Sonic the Hedgehog on PC or the Wii? I miss that game.
You can try and download an emulator on PC and you could play it on that it only takes a few minutes. If you have a PSP I know you could get a Sega collection game for that and they probably also have a version of it on PS3 so you could just try getting it there instead.