Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Racing Games in Arcades

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Wubwub

Anyone here who used to play racing games in arcades back then when there were still arcades?

We still have some in our area, fortunately, but the games aren't as good anymore, and the racing games in particular seem so generic and boring at this point. Back then, however, I enjoyed playing Daytona most of all, especially since I did get to play it with my friends and even though I almost never got first place, it was still a lot of fun. In terms of looking way back, I also have a vague memory of playing a game called Outrun in the arcades and I remember having fun playing it, although I can't remember much of how it actually looked different from the home console versions.

I haven't in a long while. The only place I know that has arcade machines is a theater that's roughly 15 minutes from my place. They have a couple racing ones, too. I used to play them more often when I was a little kid.

Ghost Rider

Me and my girl love to play racing games in the arcade. It's one of our ways to have a little fun and relax. However, we haven't visited an arcade in 3 months now. that is due to our hectic schedules. I do hope that this coming December, we could bring back the routine that we once had.

Rocketman

It seems like these days there's just too many franchises that are evolving too fast for arcades to really keep up with racing games. I've seen a few machines in my city, but they're mostly old school 2D sprite racing games at movie theaters. I heard arcade gaming is still pretty big in Japan. I wonder what accounts for their popularity.

Wubwub

It seems like these days there's just too many franchises that are evolving too fast for arcades to really keep up with racing games. I've seen a few machines in my city, but they're mostly old school 2D sprite racing games at movie theaters. I heard arcade gaming is still pretty big in Japan. I wonder what accounts for their popularity.
I miss those! I haven't seen 2D racing arcade games in probably over a decade now. I still see a few machines for Sega Rally and the newer Daytona games, but I think all of those are in 3D models already. I'd love to see an Outrun arcade machine again or something similar.

MissBin

Yea i was playing a lot of these kind of games back when i was young. I like super mario kart or some formula one racings. I liked the graphics and the gameplay the most because it was unique for that time. I kinda don't like racing games nowaday because they are too complicated and i know i might be a bit strange for saying that but i just liked the games so much.

I've played a few many years ago though I disliked how much it cost for just a few minutes of play time, gaming at home was much more preferable. Once I got a steering wheel for my console when I was younger I never went back to arcades, no surprise there are so few left, they just can't compete with gaming systems at home.

ACSAPA

I've never played a racing game in an arcade, but I kind of wanted to. There aren't that many arcades anymore, though, are they? I don't know of one in my location.

troutski

I visit an arcade every now and then. I always hop on the racing games for a few laps. They're all right. Nothing special, but they've never really been anything special anyways.

Gin0710

I played a couple, but I honestly don't remember the names. I remember one was a four-wheeler racing game. That was fun!

Squigly

I used to play a lot of Daytona USA. It was awesome fun, at a time where steering wheel controllers were not readily available. Sitting in a car seat that would shake whenever you crashed, and racing against 4 other players live on their arcade machines was a unique and incredible experience during that era.

TheViper

Back in the day I use to play them all the time. Now, you can buy the same stuff to have in your own house. They still have some around if you look for them. I think they would be popular for places that receive a lot of traffic and tourist.

NickJ

Anyone here who used to play racing games in arcades back then when there were still arcades?

We still have some in our area, fortunately, but the games aren't as good anymore, and the racing games in particular seem so generic and boring at this point. Back then, however, I enjoyed playing Daytona most of all, especially since I did get to play it with my friends and even though I almost never got first place, it was still a lot of fun. In terms of looking way back, I also have a vague memory of playing a game called Outrun in the arcades and I remember having fun playing it, although I can't remember much of how it actually looked different from the home console versions.

Yep, they were easier to play because of the big steering wheels attached to the machine. My local multiplex still has one.

funone22

Yes I have played racing games at an arcade before and I had so much fun. Just recently I played a car racing game at a mall so there are still arcade games in public today. I like any car racing game so I don't really have a top favorite but one day I'll pick the best one.

JoshPosh

One of the first arcade racing games I played was Pole Position. Back then it was cutting edge. The last arcade racing game I played was Hydro Thunder. That was a boat racing game with altered and suped up boats.

jurew2

When I was young I didn't play a lot of racing games in arcades, because we didn't have them in my home town, but I enjoyed playing them when I had the chance. I remember that I was really excited about going into the arcade and play the games that were in there. Right now I'll probably have the chance to go and play the arcade games, but I don't feel like it anymore, they're not as fun as they used to be.

BRyze

I think consoles kind of killed the joy of racing games in arcades. Anything you can do in arcade you can do better at home. If I ever stop to play a racing game in an arcade it'll be nostalgia. I know that's the only reason. Everything else I can do with various games at home.

Wubwub

Yep, they were easier to play because of the big steering wheels attached to the machine. My local multiplex still has one.
I've already forgotten what it looks like but I think i would play the hell out of it if I came across one again. I just hope I'm can already be better at it. I remember wasting a bit of money on those machines way back when.

Jani

I haven't been to an arcade in a long time. The Racing Games aren't the one's that I typically pay. The one's in the arcade are pretty generic that I have ever seen. However there are probably other games that just aren't in the places I play them because the establishment can't afford them.

Wubwub

I haven't been to an arcade in a long time. The Racing Games aren't the one's that I typically pay. The one's in the arcade are pretty generic that I have ever seen. However there are probably other games that just aren't in the places I play them because the establishment can't afford them.
Good point. I remember all the unique games fondly but after reading your post I was instantly reminded that most of them were generic games. I was really confused why a lot of them still got attention but I guess people were just having fun at arcades so game quality was only half of the reason to be there.