Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Playing PC racing games using a keyboard

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Oakster

I can't stand using the keyboard for racing games, I always use my controller.
Before I got the controller I had to use the kb of course but my performance increased tenfold when I went controller :)

FosterTXT

I really hate playing racing games with a key board as it is harder to get a feel for the turns I guess you can say. I bought a wireless 360 control adapter for my PC a few months back at best buy so I just connect my 360 control when a game can support it.

Wick99

Keyboards and such work pretty well for me but nothing beats an analog stick for that. That's just me personally however. I know some people enjoy having a realistic steering wheel or something but that just seems to mess me up.

jbeavis100

If it was my only choice i'd be sad. That's why I have multiple controllers so that I can use them for racing games.

I haven't played a racing game on a PC in a very long time. Its been about a year. I haven't played a game on a PC in about 2 years as well. I do remember how it use to be though.

gats

Since most racing games are console ports, it will be a pain to use a keyboard. Use an Xbox 360 controller with a USB adapter and you will dominate PC racing games.

This has to be one of the most annoying things in life. I hate playing Computer games with a keyboard, it is not the same thing as playing with a controller, it has a totally different feeling to it.

Oakster

This has to be one of the most annoying things in life. I hate playing Computer games with a keyboard, it is not the same thing as playing with a controller, it has a totally different feeling to it.

It's annoying but not one of the worst things in life lol :)
You can play with a keyboard and get used to it, you just won't be as good as you would be with a controller, just like a wheel is also superior to controllers.

pahagwl

I completely agree with that its less fun playing racing games on an old fashioned keyboard. If you are looking for an authentic experience, I would recommend getting a dedicated controller for racing games. It might look like that you have to make some initial investment but at the end of the day it matches up to it. Leading accessories companies like Logitech, have dedicated controllers for racing games in the market which have good features and build quality.

Susime

I used a keyboard for a time and just about managed but it was not good as you could not "feel" the cars, Anyone ever used a joystick for racing? I use my flight sim one now and again and find it to be just under par with a wheel.

mikelouis

I think playing with keyboards is not any fun. I prefer playing using a gamepad which makes to allocate controls much easier rather than using keyboards. Gamepads also give the keyboard a breathing chance.

Kandikkal

I think it is better to play racing games with a gamepad on PC. I have one cheap gamepad for playing Trackmania Forever.

Oakster

It's really different using a keyboard, but I can still definitely get into any race with a keyboard, just harder.

It depends a bit on the game, on some you can get away with a keyboard but on others you need the better control of a controller.

froggy666

I wish you the best of luck. I feel like it may be difficult to try and drive properly due to the fact you can't use a keyboard to get precise movements and accuracy. Trying to use a digital medium for an analogue control.

Oakster

I wish you the best of luck. I feel like it may be difficult to try and drive properly due to the fact you can't use a keyboard to get precise movements and accuracy. Trying to use a digital medium for an analogue control.

Now that you put it like that, I'm thinking a mouse wouldn't be a bad control scheme.
Using the left hand to control the pedals on the keyboard and using the mouse as a steering wheel would be pretty cool.
Is there any game that does this? I imagine the mouse sensitivity would have to be spot on...

froggy666

It would kind of work but keep in mind that a mouse has a single plane and 360 degrees of freedom. It's not just left a bit and right a bit. There are far too many possibilities on how a mouse can move. That is kind of how a joystick works. It has accuracy much like a steering wheel.

AndreiFL

I like playing any kind of video game using the mouse and the keyboard. Racing games aren't that difficult to play without a wheel.

I do play racing games with a keyboard. I think it's pretty easy. Burnout : Paradise controls very well with a keyboard, there is no need to use a mouse in that game at all. Also, another reason I use a keyboard on PC is because I don't have a PC compatible XBOX controller.

Sarz

Its a pain in the bum. My skills seem to instantly deplete when playing racing games on the PC. Unfortunately it doesn't come natural at tall but I persevere anyway. Much prefer the comfort of a control pad though it has to be said.