Callback \rw\loadSkin::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).

Only Those Who Own the Mario Kart 8 DLC Tracks Can Race Them Online

Callback \rw\load990970::getHtml is invalid (error_invalid_class).
S

Shawn Hopkins

new-trailer-for-mario-kart-8s-b.jpg

It’s sort of a no-brainer, but there’s so much going innovation in game sharing nowadays, like PlayStation’s Share Play feature, that it wasn’t crazy to hold out hope that even if you didn’t buy the Mario Kart 8 DLC you could still compete in the matches of your friends that own it when it launches Thursday.

Nope. As clarified by Venture Beat today, when you make a Mario Kart 8 online match with the DLC, you get an option to select from the original 32 tracks or 40 tracks including the eight DLC tracks. You can also make a 32 track or 40 track tournament, or make a tournament just from the eight new tracks.

The game won’t stop you from setting up matches or tournaments if people in the room don’t have the DLC. But those without it won’t be able to play. Players without the DLC will be able to see your new cars and characters when you play on the original 32 tracks, though.

There will be two Mario Kart 8 DLC packs. The first, coming Thursday, adds Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach and Link; four vehicles including an amazing Master Cycle motorcycle for Link, the B Dasher, Blue Falcon and Tanooki Kart; and eight tracks. The second, coming in May 2015, adds Villager, Isabelle and Dry Bowser, four additional vehicles and eight more tracks. The packs also add new tracks, carts, and some new color schemes for Yoshi and Shyguy that can be obtained before the DLC launches through pre-ordering. The DLC is $7.99 per pack or $11.99 for both.

The post Only Those Who Own the Mario Kart 8 DLC Tracks Can Race Them Online appeared first on Racing Game Central.

Continue reading...

Squigly

It's definitely an inconvenience, but I feel that Mario Kart's DLC packs are very reasonably priced compared to many other DLC packs (ahem...the Crew)

You can get lots of tracks, characters and vehicles for 8 dollars. I think that Nintendo is just trying to reduce the number of freeloaders so it can actually make some profit on its DLC. They cost money to develop after all.

troutski

This is how games have been for 99% of the history of DLC and expansion packs, so there are really no surprises here.

Yeah, this isn't a big surprise. It's been the way Nintendo has done things for a long time. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way to do business, though. I don't think it's an unreasonable price to pay for extra features. It's not like they are asking for an arm and a leg. Most folks can afford $8 so I'm not going to criticize this too much.